Friday, March 11, 2011

Master Closet Simplified

I'm popping in for a rare burst of blogging to join in on Simple Mom's Project : Simplify! She'll be leading us in tackling 5 hot spots of clutter in the home. I'm full-on nesting, so the timing is perfect.

I almost didn't participate in this week's hot spot, thinking that my closet is already in pretty good shape. A few months ago, I bought nice hangers and brought in some baskets and tags I already had to give it a more cohesive and sophisticated look, since the bifold doors stay open pretty much all the time making it part of the master bedroom decor.

But then I started thinking about how it's getting warmer and it wouldn't hurt to go through the box of summer maternity items that have been lent to me, and how the dust build-up is so severe that if an item falls from its hanger, I have to put it back in the dirty clothes. (I don't know if it's the wood floors or the age of this house, but gets incredibly dusty. I seriously just dusted my closet a few months ago. Who dusts their closet??) I'm thinking maybe a little unpacking, tidying and dusting and this project will take me 30 minutes or so...

Two hours later and I am thrilled with the results! Here's what I started with:


What I did:

- Today was laundry day, so job one was to put away all the clean clothes you see piled up there.

- cleared out everything on the floor and the shelf above the hangers

- dusted and cleared cobwebs and sneezed 50 times

- went through the hanging items and shifted them around so that the ones I use the most are near the middle. Jackets and coats are tucked back on one side; scarves, belts and extra purses on the other.

- next up, I marched all the random objects (pillow pets, little pink crocs, matchbox cars, etc) back to their proper homes

- went through the summer maternity clothes. I didn't try everything on, since it was getting late, but I was extra picky in making sure I only hung up the ones I was fairly certain I would get use out of. (For example, I have no practical need for maternity dress slacks, and I already know I don't look good in scoop neck t-shirts.) I packed up the rest to give back or donate.

- found some non-maternity clothes and running clothes I won't be needing for several months and packed them up for storage in the basement

Here's a picture of the out-takes (minus dustballs and the kids' stuff which I had already put away):


I put back on the floor my shoes, work clothes (for painting or yard work), a basket of mending, and a basket of shorts.

(Looking to the right)


(Looking to the left)

Now the top shelf:


On the top I had only my suitcases and a sleeping bag off to either side, so I added the small trunk, which was in need of a home, and two now-empty baskets to stash items that I outgrow later on in the pregnancy.

I took the 3M hooks from the garage wall, where they hadn't been working out as grocery bag hooks. I re-hung the hooks in the middle of the closet for my most-often worn jewelry, so they no longer have to sit in a little bowl in the linen closet. Love those little 3M pull-tab hangy-thingies!

Last but not least, I asked Mark to tie a new string from my light which had broken months and months ago.

Let's take a step back to see the end result:


Much more functional and roomy. The clear floor space makes the master bedroom feel like it extends another 18 inches and seeing all those tank tops lined up gets me excited that warmer, sunnier weather is on its way!

Total time: 2 hours
Total expense: $0

8 comments:

Tsh @ Simple Mom said...

Beautiful job! I love the hangers.

Carlien said...

Brilliant - it looks really smart and organised. I like all the schooling links you have in the sidebar too... will take a closer look when we have better web soon.
Blessings for the rest of your pregnancy!!

Lindsey said...

It looks great! I don't blame you for not trying on stuff... as much as I HATE trying on clothes when not pregnant, I HATEHATEHATE trying them one when pregnant!

We need to see you guys again soon. How is your April looking? Who am I kidding, mine is slammed but I don't care, let's try anyway! :)

Erin said...

Love it! You've motivated me! I did not get around Tsh's assignment this week, but I want to. Hopefully this week's hot spot will be something that I already have in perfect order (hahaha) and I'll be able to do my closet instead.

Julie Tiemann said...

SO impressive, Julie. Man, this makes me want to get mine in shape... Honestly it's just so depressing to look at my clothes these days that I just don't even want to go in my closet more than I have to. One question I have to ask - where are your shoes?! Surely that very, very small box of shoes that I saw isn't all you own?!

Julie said...

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments! At the time, 2 hours seemed like a big investment, but now I'm getting motivated to tackle the next hotspot (we'll find out what it is tomorrow) and maybe even come back to to the other closets in the house.

Julie, the only pairs of shoes not shown there are my Danksos which were sitting by the back door and the black flip flops I was wearing. I'm just not a big accessory girl! In that basket is a pair each of:

crocs
running shoes
black converses
black heels
brown flip flops

You must check out this series on Tsh's blog! You will be inspired to only keep out the clothes that you enjoy wearing.

Lindsey, we'd love to visit your neck of the woods sometime this spring. Call me ;)

Kate said...

uau! great job!
My closet it's also always messy, but rally messy... this is going to help me A LOT! THANK YOU SO MUCH! lool
by the way I love your blog congratulations :)

qingblog said...

Microsoft Outlook 2010 download can help you get the information you need and block the information you don't need to stay productive. Learn more about preventing junk e-mail messages with download Outlook 2010 .