Friday, October 30, 2009

Couponing

A few different people have asked me about how I combine coupons and sales to keep our grocery budget low. Not nearly as low as some frugalistas and extreme-couponers, but a fair amount. We like to eat natural and organic foods, support local agriculture through our farmer's market, and like most of you, I don't have a lot of time for shopping. Even a little strategizing and planning can make a big difference in the wallet.

Who wouldn't want an extra $50 (or more) a week to put toward something more fun than groceries?

Here's part of a message I sent to a friend yesterday on this topic:

This is week at Publix to get started with couponing!

You may not have saved up coupons yet, but you can start by keeping the coupon inserts from the Sunday paper (or from the free one the AJC puts in non-subcribers' yards on Thursday) and writing the date on the front*.


Other ways to get coupon inserts:

:: buy the double paper on Sunday at the store: two sets of coupons!

:: ask around. Most people don't use coupons, or just cut a few and throw the rest away.

:: If you feel especially daring and resourceful, you can easily grab several inserts from your neighborhood paper-only recycling bins. I'm not admitting to dumpster diving. Just saying. It's an option.


Until you build up a nice stash of coupons or dated inserts you can save big by shopping the sales and using internet printables.

Two sites to get you started with planning your shopping trips:


Coupon Mom Click on "Grocery Deals by State" on the left side bar. Choose your grocery store (drug stores, Walmart and Target lists are also available) and then just click on the items you want, select deals and bam! you have a list! I print it out, plan out my meals and add to the list anything else I will need to complete the meals. Then I cut out the coupons, write how many of each items to get next to that item on my list, and put the list and coupons in an envelope. Super handy for shopping and checking out with three wiggly littles in tow. When I'm feeling especially Type A I will calculate the cost of each item and estimate my total bill before I go and adjust the list if needed to meet my budget goal. Nerd alert!


Southern Savers is another good source. She includes store flyers that are out and competitor coupons (my main store Publix accepts competitor and store coupons on top of manufacturer's coupons. That's called "coupon stacking")


If you see anything that is a great deal (at least 50% off for most non-perishables) that your family uses regularly, buy enough to last you about two months. Since you're getting these items at pennies on the dollar, it shouldn't add too much to your weekly budget. Slowly you will build up a stockpile of your basics so that you never have to pay full price for everyday items.

Avoid buying anything you wouldn't normally, unless it is free then you can give it to charity, because the time it takes to cut your coupons and do your shopping can be overwhelming. I recommend sticking with just one or two stores. Mine are Publix every week and Costco, Trader Joe's, and the farmer's market once or twice a month.

If you don't see a great special on meat or produce at the grocery store, it's probably cheaper at Costco. When I go I usually grab a 4.99 Rotisserie chickens for dinner that same night. Nuts, quinoa, and brown rice, which are household staples for us, are also always the cheapest at Costco. Trader Joe's is my source for inexpensive organic and natural items. We get our milk, eggs, meat, and soap from local farmers.


*I use the Coupon Mom method of saving and dating the whole insert. I find it saves a lot of time and clutter. Many people cut out every coupon they think they might use and have various methods of organizing them to have on the go. Choose the way that works best for you!

** I met Stephanie Nelson, the Coupon Mom herself, at Costco today just by chance. She was so nice and I totally froze and couldn't think of anything to say. Mary Katherine again, I KNOW! This is why I alway keep the camera with me. And why I really should take the time to do something with my hair before leaving the house.


Check out my friend Amanda's post on saving money on groceries. It is way more helpful than this.

1 comment:

Carlien said...

One day when I enter the "real world" again, all your advice and yummy recipes and such will be very useful!
Thanks Julie!
:)
C.